A candidate for Confirmation who has attained the age of reason must profess the faith, be in the state of grace, have the intention of receiving the sacrament, and be prepared to assume the role of disciple and witness to Christ, both within the ecclesial community and in temporal affairs.(CCC, 1319)
Confirmation for Adults –
Adult Catholics who have not been confirmed, are invited to seek Confirmation through the RCIA program. Call Fr. Mitchell at the parish office at (206) 364-7900.
Confirmation for Teens –
- There will be a mandatory Orientation & Parent Information Meeting on TBA.
- Classes will be taught in conjunction with the North Seattle Catholic Youth Ministry and classes will be TBA.
- The Sacrament will be celebrated in the spring, TBA.
- The mandatory Confirmation Retreat will be held prior to Confirmation, TBA.
- The Confirmation Class Registration Form and Sponsor Form is available from Laurie McCloskey. The Sponsor form is due TBA.
- For more information, please contact Kate Brown from N Seattle Catholic Youth at [email protected]
The goal of the Confirmation program is to help those who participate in it to deepen their personal relationship with God, to develop their sense of belonging in a living Christian community, and to personally ratify their membership in the Catholic Church. It is assumed that the process of confirming the faith has been ongoing in their lives and that it will continue to be renewed long after they have completed the program.
The policy of the Archdiocese of Seattle is to confirm those who are 16 years of age (Sophomore/Junior in High School) or older.
- The student’s family must be registered in the parish, unless you have received prior permission.
- Students are required to attend all classes and the retreat.
- A copy of the student’s original baptismal certificate is required.
- Students must select a sponsor; the sponsor must be a practicing Confirmed Catholic and may not be the parent.
Contact Laurie McCloskey, Coordinator of Faith Formation, at the Parish Office at (206) 364-7900 or [email protected] to inquire or register.
The Sacrament of Confirmation perfects Baptismal grace; it is the Sacrament which gives the Holy Spirit in order to root us more deeply in the divine filiation, incorporate us more firmly into Christ, strengthen our bond with the Church, associate us more closely with her mission, and help us bear witness to the Christian faith in words accompanied by deeds. (CCC, 1316)
Confirmation, like Baptism imprints a spiritual mark or indelible character on the Christian’s soul; for this reason one can receive this Sacrament only once in one’s life. (CCC, 1317)
The essential rite of Confirmation is anointing the forehead of the baptized with sacred chrism, together with the laying on of the minister’s hand and the words: “Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit.” (CCC, 1320)